Saturday, October 17, 2015

Sexism

     Someone asked me one time "do you believe you should make the same amount as a man with the same job?". I just remember clearly replying "no". Women still do not receive equality in the workforce today, and there's no question about it. However, i don't want to be paid the same as a man JUST because i'm a female. I want to get paid more because i earned it.
      My mom works for a company in Dallas, and she is the only executive on their board. She has always guided me to never be intimidated in the work place by men. She worked her way from the bottom of the company to an executive position through hard work. A lot of hours in the office, many late nights, and working on weekends go her to where she is. She never complained along the way when her male counterparts got paid slightly more, but i remember the day she came home after their year evaluations. She was so excited because she found out that she would be getting paid $500 more than a male that had the same job as her.
     My mother just inspires me to work as hard as i can, and i can only trust that if i follow her advice,  i'll earn what i deserve because my boss won't be able to ignore my skill set. I don't want to be limited to "making as much as a male", i want to go beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment